A Look Back at 2020
Posted on 27 January 2021
Like many small-businesses Pearls4Girls had to find new ways to adapt and pivot in 2020 due to new COVID-19 rules and restrictions. In the past we had a small percentage of purchases made online through our website, relying on in-person interactions to drive the majority of our sales through home ‘Pearl Parties’, ‘Pearl Bees’, fairs and artisan markets.
With the pandemic, we had to make a quick shift to selling much more of our products online. For us this meant, a significant increase of promotions through social media, email marketing, and relying on our faithful customers and supporters to help spread the word about Pearls4Girls. With your support, we were able to increase our online sales from 14% to 64% of our business in 2020, enabling us to keep up the important work done through the Pearl Program- Thank you!
Highlights from 2020
- Thank you to Turnbull School teachers, parents and students who purchased over $3,100 of Signature Bracelet Kits!
- A huge congratulations to local Ottawa boutique, Escape Clothing, on selling $50,000 of Pearls4Girls jewelry! Thank you for the many years of support, we are so grateful.
- We’re excited to announce another local partnership that happened at the end of 2020 with Ottawa women’s clothing store, Viens Avec Moi! This local boutique is stocked with our popular signature bracelets and baroque pearl bracelets.
- We partnered with two wonderful Instagram influencers, Mary (@maryciancibellostyle), and Megan (@ottawariverlifestyle) during the lead-up to the Christmas holidays. Thank you Mary and Megan for sharing your beautiful photos and important information about Pearls4Girls with your followers!
- The newly added Gifts That Give Hope, went over incredibly well during the holiday season! These special gifts bring hope to someone in Lesotho who may be struggling with HIV/AIDS, poverty, and gender inequity. With your help, we sold 82 sanitary kits, and 31 pairs of shoes! Check out the rest of our GTGH options here, including our newest additions: a 3-pack of masks, a blanket, an educational booklet and a food parcel.
- Top 5 Pearls4Girls products sold (see below) by unit in 2020. Stay tuned, these popular products will be back shortly and ready to purchase for your spring wardrobe!
A Pearl Program Update:
Though the Pearl Program ran a little differently this past year, the 100 participants were thrilled to be able to still partake in program activities. Pearl Girls wore masks and attended monthly sessions outdoors to comply with COVID-19 regulations in Lesotho. We are so happy to be able to continue running these important sessions!
"Thank you for purchasing pearls so I can attend the Pearl Program to learn about leadership skills. Now I am ready to be a leader!"